Monday, November 16, 2015

On staying connected and reassuring worried hearts



This past Friday evening, I was supposed to fly to Paris.

I was fortunate enough to have been sent elsewhere and the gift of modern technology ensured I could easily send a message to my daughters, making sure they knew I was not on a plane flying overseas.

Over the last two years, technology has been a blessing to our family, keeping us connected when we have to be apart.  There have been tearful reports of sibling fights, scraped elbows and knees, bed time kisses and birthday lullabies, sillies and sorrowful tears. There have been never ending conversations and comfortable silences, homework sessions, lectures, and decorating "reveals".

Geography and circumstances are no match for facetime or text.

When scary things happen in the big world around them, little hearts are blessed to be able to seek connection with and reassurance from their loved ones with the help of this technology.

Without this, my wise, thoughtful, and very aware eleven year old daughter, would not have been able to seek the connection and reassurance from me that she needed after learning of the Paris attacks.

The following is a text conversation we had Saturday evening, she could not fall asleep that night, so she reached out to me on text and eventually facetime (a rare thing for this little girl)....

P: Mommy why did you not go to Paris

Me: I didnt go to Paris because they gave us a choice not to

P:why?

Me:I wanted to stay away from Paris until things calmed down and were under control.

P: oh

Me: how did you feel when you found out about what happened in Paris?

P:Good that you were not there. I had a feeling that you should not go to Paris.

Me: Your sister told me you were very upset on Thursday night that Mommy was going to Paris. She said you were worried and scared. You have a special gift of intuition - always listen to that little voice inside.

P: I know

Me: The city will be ok again - it was last year and it has gone through much worse in history.

P:Everyone was on the soccer field.

Me:I know it was something nobody ever expected, that's why its terrorism. Do you feel worried or scared?

P: Not really, I know we live in a safe bubble in our town, but I do wonder why they don't bomb the Eiffel tower.

Me: yes, where we live is a safe bubble, and sometimes when we live in our bubble we forget that bad things happen in the world. But, when we live in fear that means the terrorists win because we give up our sense of freedom when we are scared - so, even though its scary - its important to live our lives without fear.

P: clapping hands emojii

Me:I think they wouldn't attack the Eiffel tower. Part of being a terrorist is trying to make people afraid to live their every day lives.

P:But if they want to destroy Paris, wouldn't they target a main attraction?

Me: They don't want to destroy the city honey, they want to destroy peoples feelings of being safe and free.

P:Why do they set off bombs then

Me: to hurt people. To scare people.

P:oh

Me:To spread hate and fear. Its not good, none of it is good. But what I think you should see and feel sure of, is that there are thousands of people who are helpers.

P: I know.

Me:So when bad things happen, I think its really important to see the helpers....Police, Fire, Military. There are way more of them and they will always help and keep us safe. xoxo

Its not the same as holding her in my arms and giving her a comforting hug, (she got LOTS of those today), but its something.  I am grateful for the ability, however great or small, to stay connected to my girls, even when we are not physically together.

Much love to facetime and imessage for keeping us connected and hosting heart to hearts when we need them most.









No comments:

Post a Comment